Top 10 States by Arab American Population
1. California - 1,324,500
2. Michigan - 824,000
3. New York - 755,700
4. Texas - 464,000
5. Florida - 436,300
6. Illinois - 393,500
7. New Jersey - 368,500
8. Ohio - 300,400
9. Massachusetts - 265,100
10. Pennsylvania - 210,400
Selected Population Characteristics
- AAA estimates that at least 9 million Americans are of Arab descent.
- Arab Americans live in all 50 states, but two thirds are concentrated in 10 states; one third of the total live in California, New York, and Michigan.
- About 94% of Arab Americans live in metropolitan areas. Los Angeles, Detroit, New York/NJ, Chicago and Washington, D.C., are the top five metropolitan areas of Arab American concentration.
- Lebanese Americans constitute a greater part of the total number of Arab Americans residing in most states, although in Georgia, New Jersey, and Tennessee, Egyptian Americans are the largest Arab group.
- The largest Arab American community in Arizona is Iraqis, Rhode Island has a plurality of Syrian Americans, and Nebraska and South Dakota have a plurality of Sudanese.
- While the largest Palestinian population is in California, the greatest concentration of Palestinians can be found in Illinois.
- There are almost as many Iraqis living in Michigan as there are living in California, even though California is over three times larger than Michigan.